The LBGF, which started in 1989, has become known as one of the most professional and well organized "festivals" with their friendly service and constant attention to detail. In 2013 there were 1,543 golfers from all over the United States and the rest of the world, who played 3,336 rounds of golf during the Festival. 110 volunteers donated over 3,000 hours to staff the tournaments.
Funds were raised for the following organizations through the Festival: $4,000 to Assistance League of Long Beach; $3,000 to Partners of Parks; $1,500 to Long Beach State golf teams. In addition, various goods and services were donated to other charity golf tournaments and community fund-raising events.
The Long Beach Golf Festival (LBGF) features nine tournaments, which include:
Senior Amateur Championship
Match Play Championship
Women's City Championship
Men's City Championship
Crosby Memorial Junior Golf Championship
Long Beach Open Amateur Qualifying
Long Beach Open Charity Pro/Am
$165,000 Long Beach Open
23rd ANNUAL SENIOR AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP
- May 15-17; played at El Dorado Park, Skylinks and Recreation Park Golf Courses
- 224 participants
- Championship Flight winner: Jon Levitt from Covina shot 213 (-3)
- As the champion, Jon Levitt received an invitation to play in the amateur field of the 2013 Long Beach Open.
88th ANNUAL MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP
- June 1-2 (qualifying dates); June 8, 9, 15 & 16 (match play); played at El Dorado Park Golf Course
- 94 participants
- Final 36-hole match result: Jordan Guillen of Placentia defeated Jacob Schulze of Huntington Beach 2 & 1
- As the champion, Jordan Guillen received an invitation into the Amateur field of the 2013 Long Beach Open.
83rd ANNUAL WOMEN’S CITY CHAMPIONSHIP
- June 19-21; played at El Dorado Park, Recreation Park and Skylinks Golf Courses
- 80 participants
- Championship Flight winner: Cyna Marie Rodriguez of The Philippines shot 220 (+2)
43rd ANNUAL MEN’S CITY CHAMPIONSHIP
- June 28-30; played at El Dorado Park, Recreation Park and Skylinks Golf Courses
- 387 participants
- Championship Flight winner: Pete Fernandez, Jr. of Costa Mesa shot 200 (-16)
- As the champion, Pete Fernandez, Jr. received an invitation to play in the amateur field of the 2013 Long Beach Open.
CROSBY MEMORIAL JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP
- July 3; played at Recreation Park 9 & 18 Golf Courses
- 117 participants (17 in 11 and under age flights and 100 in 12 and over age flights)
LONG BEACH OPEN AMATEUR QUALIFYING
- July 17; played at Recreation Park Golf Course
- 113 participants
- The following qualifiers (top 7 from field) were given invitations into the amateur field of the 2013 Long Beach Open: Ryann Ree, Redondo Beach; Boris Stantchev, Long Beach; Nick Thomas, Westlake Village; Daniel Lopez, Los Angeles; Cass Traub, Long Beach; Kenny Cole, Redondo Beach; Marc Reyes, Los Angeles
LONG BEACH OPEN CHARITY PRO-AM
- July 24; played at El Dorado Park Golf Course
- 144 participants
- Format: each group had 3 amateurs and 1 professional and the team played 2 best ball of the foursome
- $3,000 was donated to Partners of Parks
- $1,500 was donated to the Long Beach State golf teams (men & women)
$165,000 LONG BEACH OPEN
- July 25-28; played at Skylinks & El Dorado Park Golf Courses
- 312 participants (full field)—300 professionals and 12 amateurs
- Champion: Berry Henson of Rancho Mirage shot 269 (19 under par) and received the winner’s check for $30,000
- Brett Lederer of Lakewood finished at 272 for second place, three strokes behind Henson.
- Spencer Anderson of Pacific Palisades and Chris Gilman of Yorba Linda tied for third place at 273.
- Low Amateur: Pete Fernandez, Jr. of Costa Mesa shot 276 (12 under par). Pete qualified for the field as the 2013 Long Beach Men’s City Champion.
- Long Beach Golf Festival Director Bob Chaffee presented the trophies and winner’s check to Pete Fernandez, Jr. and Berry Henson at the awards ceremony.