The LBGF, which started in 1989, has become known as one of the most professional and well organized "festivals" with their friendly service and constant attention to detail. In 2014 there were 1,482 golfers from all over the United States and the rest of the world, who played 3,214 rounds of golf during the Festival. 110 volunteers donated over 3,000 hours to staff the tournaments.
Funds were raised for the following organizations through the Festival: $4,000 to Assistance League of Long Beach; $3,000 to Partners of Parks; $1,500 to Long Beach State golf teams. In addition, various goods and services were donated to other charity golf tournaments and community fund-raising events.
The Long Beach Golf Festival (LBGF) features nine tournaments, which include:
Senior Amateur Championship
Match Play Championship
Women's City Championship
Men's City Championship
Crosby Memorial Junior Golf Championship
Long Beach Open Amateur Qualifying
Long Beach Open Charity Pro/Am
$165,000 Long Beach Open
24th ANNUAL SENIOR AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP
- May 14-16; played at El Dorado Park, Skylinks and Recreation Park Golf Courses
- 217 participants
- Championship Flight winner: Jon Levitt from Covina shot 207 (-9)
- As the champion, Jon Levitt received an invitation to play in the amateur field of the 2014 Long Beach Open.
89th ANNUAL MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP
- May 31 & June 1 (qualifying dates); June 7, 8, 14 & 15 (match play); played at Recreation Park Golf Course
- 116 participants
- Final 36-hole match result: Mark Jensma of Aliso Viejo defeated Jordan Guillen of Placentia 7 & 6
- As the champion, Mark Jensma received an invitation into the Amateur field of the 2014 Long Beach Open.
84th ANNUAL WOMEN’S CITY CHAMPIONSHIP
- June 18-20; played at El Dorado Park, Recreation Park and Skylinks Golf Courses
- 8p participants
- Championship Flight winner: Pauline Del Rosario of The Philippines shot 213 (-5)
44th ANNUAL MEN’S CITY CHAMPIONSHIP
- June 27-29; played at El Dorado Park, Recreation Park and Skylinks Golf Courses
- 332 participants
- Championship Flight winner: Travis Johnson of Long Beach shot 205 (-11)
- As the champion, Travis Johnson received an invitation to play in the amateur field of the 2014 Long Beach Open.
CROSBY MEMORIAL JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP
- July 2; played at Recreation Park 9 & 18 Golf Courses
- 88 participants (17 in 11 and under age flights and 100 in 12 and over age flights)
LONG BEACH OPEN AMATEUR QUALIFYING
- July 16; played at Recreation Park Golf Course
- 124 participants
- The following qualifiers (top 7 from field) were given invitations into the amateur field of the 2014 Long Beach Open: Augostino Milazzo (Riverside), Matt Murphy (Coto De Caza), Carter Pool (San Diego), Sammy Cole (Aliso Viejo), Jordan Guillen (Placentia), Daniel Lopez (Los Angeles) and Harold Calubid (Long Beach) received invitations to play in the 2014 Long Beach Open.
LONG BEACH OPEN CHARITY PRO-AM
- July 23; played at El Dorado Park Golf Course
- 144 participants
- Format: each group had 3 amateurs and 1 professional and the team played 2 best ball of the foursome
- $3,000 was donated to Partners of Parks
- $1,500 was donated to the Long Beach State golf teams (men & women)
$165,000 LONG BEACH OPEN
- July 24-27; played at Skylinks & El Dorado Park Golf Courses
- 312 participants (full field)—300 professionals and 12 amateurs
- Champion: Eric Meichtry of Murrieta became a two-time winner after shooting 267 (21 under par) and received the winner’s check for $30,000
- Ben Geyer (Arbuckle) and Nick Sherwood (Albany, OR) finished at 268 for a second place tie, one stroke behind Meichtry.
- Shi Kim (Fullerton) and Garrett Sapp (Long Beach) tied for fourth place at 269.
- Low Amateur: Kevin Lee (La Palma and Long Beach State) shot 274 (14 under par).
- Long Beach Golf Festival Director Bob Chaffee presented the trophies and winner’s check to Kevin Lee and Eric Meichtry at the awards ceremony.